Bill Gates – the Microsoft founder, coined the term ‘content is king’ in an article he wrote describing the future of the internet in 1996. In the article, Gates predicts that content on the internet will bring in the real money, just as it did with broadcasting.
Find Bill Gate’s article here
It’s 24 years later, and we have seen how the internet has become a marketplace for content. Every industry needs content marketing strategies and this is where Lindwa Communications comes in to save the day! We are the ‘ever-ready’ content marketing agency that will help you build a digital presence and curate content.
“One of the exciting things about the Internet is that anyone with a PC and a modem can publish whatever content they can create. In a sense, the Internet is the multimedia equivalent of the photocopier. It allows the material to be duplicated at a low cost, no matter the size of the audience. The Internet also allows information to be distributed worldwide at basically zero marginal cost to the publisher. Opportunities are remarkable, and many companies are laying plans to create content for the Internet.” – Bill Gates, Microsoft – 1996.
The growth of social media platforms and the global digitisation attributes to the relevancy of content in all industries because businesses have to go where their audiences are. Which means it’s a fair game for all brands and companies – so may the best man win.
Now before we get too excited, we need to understand that every good thing always has a flip-side to it. Because of the information overload, curated content continues to be a commodity and establishing brand-specific content is like hitting a gold mine. Building a strong digital presence requires you to understand the importance of content and master marketing. So that your brand positioning elevates your business, and places you in front of the correct audience. It could be that your marketing strategies aren’t fruitful because you are communicating with the wrong audience.
Lindwa Communications will break down five tips on how to maximize your content marketing strategies:
1. Find the platforms your audience loves. You’ll need to position yourself exactly where your target audience chooses to consume content. For example, it wouldn’t make sense to be on LinkedIn if your core business is a bakery. No-one goes on LinkedIn looking for cakes and cookies, because the platform is more professional and career-oriented. It would make sense to showcase your cakes, recipes and other confectionery goods on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram – where the visuals can directly meet people who are looking for you or specific recipes. Your content has to be a ‘pleasant surprise’ to your audience. Whether they were looking for you or not, but bumping into you must offer value to what they need.
2. Choose one form of content to start off with. Yes, social media is awesome, but you don’t have to do everything at once. After you find your ideal platform, you’ll need to find your favourite content type. Whether you start off with a blog or videos, find one and master it. As you grow, then you can merge the two together.
3. Your content needs to solve someone’s problem. You’ll need to create educational content that demonstrates your expertise and communicates your brand. If your ideal customers like what they see, they’re likely to hire you.
4. Content is king, but engagement is queen. You’ll need to build relationships with your audiences and this will be driven by engagement. The more engagement you have, the better your content will be for brand visibility. Besides, when people like your content then the Google algorithm will appreciate you too and that’s the best way to win. I went into detail about writing content for Search Engine Optimization in my previous article.
5. Google is obsessed with content! This is important because if your content is great, Google will like you. The more content and SEO keyword phrases you publish in your area of expertise, the better chance your customers have of finding what they are looking for. SEO keywords are crucial because Google scans the scope of content for search engine indexing and it will send more traffic to your website when you appear to be an expert on a given topic.
If you want to win with content marketing, then curating your content will establish a strong digital presence. If you’re tired of rolling the dice on your content marketing strategies, get in touch with us to book a consultation. We’re at your service with every content marketing needs.